Monday, December 21, 2009

TEACHING YOUR CHILDREN TO KNOW GOD (seri 1)

I remembered one moment in my childhood, when I was being a teenager. At that time, I've started to go to the Sunday Service, which attended, by parents and adults. Because I had not come to the Teens' Service anymore. At that time, I always go alone to Church with cycling because of the distance to the Church was not too far away. As usual, I always follow the service to the end, until the Pastor gave the blessings' prayer and afterwards I went home. One Sunday, either because of boredom or did not see any friends. I went home straight away as soon as the Pastor finished his preaching and began to pray intercession.

When I got home, my parents were immediately reprimanded me and said that it was the MOST BAD Attitude before GOD's presence. They said that I must follow through to completion of Worship or Service whatever the reason, because I had to honor God, as God is present and watching over me. Though still young, I did not deny that my behavior was an impolite behavior at that time. I supposed like people who visit a house and quietly leave without permission when the host was not finished talking to me.

Since then, my heart never felt at peace when I come home without a Blessing Prayer from Pastor. And indeed I never do that again.

I want to share here, is that how do we inculcate the acknowledging of God to our children is very important. Sometimes, unknowingly we think that our child was still about one or three years old and they did not understand when we taught about the Lord God who is Invisible. In fact, just at those early ages we can instil the basic or strong roots to them, so that our children know God very well for their lifetime. We can read about the parable of these roots in Matthew 13:1-23.

Do not under estimate what you have taught to your children. Something which has stuck in their minds will never be dislodged the roots easily, especially if you have invested about the God's Words in the earliest possible ages.

One example that until now I do not understand is, how could the parents let or not reprimand their children while running around and shouting in the midst of service at Church. If at that time our children were not healthy or get fussy, it may be accepted. But, what if done many times? Maybe it seems too extreme. However, it is very important to start teaching your little children about fear and reverence to God, just as they respect us as parents (even more). Do not worry. Your children must be understood when you are talking to them wisely.

Most of our children are like a loose soil. The Children's Ministry Resource Bible has presented the results of the ages of people when they became Christians. The study said that :

  • 1 percent responding a Good News when they were 4 years old yet.


  • 85 percents came to Jesus when they were aged between 4 to 14 years.


  • 10 percents were saved between 15 to 30 years.


  • And only 4 percents who want to receive Jesus as their Saviour, after they were aged over 30 years.
    (Children's Ministry Resource Bible. Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1994)


It is clear to say that most kids have a will to hear. They are not a hard ground. Its' roots have a chance to grow depthly. So, now how old is your child, use this time to teach your child about God before you regret it and it was too late to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment